While your roofing system is designed to protect your home and family from all forms of weather, it’s also the first part of your home that’s likely to suffer damage during harsh weather conditions. Damage to your roof is often hard to catch because it’s not always immediately apparent, and even the smallest holes and least noticeable cracks will let in moisture, leading to leaks that can rapidly grow and wreak havoc on your home. This is why it’s extremely important to schedule regular maintenance for your residential roofing in Bellevue, WA.
Here at KLIM Roofing & Construction-, our professional roofing specialists strive to always promptly respond and quickly repair any and all roofing issues that you may encounter. The earlier you can recognize such problems, the smaller and less intensive the repair will be. In this post, we’ll teach you how to identify these problems early on, and discuss effective solutions for each situation.
Washington’s Climate vs. Your Roofing System
We Washingtonians love our home state. Needless to say, we definitely get our share of gray skies and intense rains, especially in the Western region. In general, we get quite a bit of rain, snow and wind, so it’s essential to have a roof that drains well and can hold up to excessive moisture.
You may wonder whether certain roofing types are better suited for Washington’s damp climate than others. While it’s true that no roof type is necessarily a poor choice for your Washington home, some materials are definitely better suited to Washington’s climate than others. If you’re thinking about re-roofing your home in Bellevue, WA, your best options for roofing material are asphalt shingles, metal roofing and slate roofing. These three types of roofing have some of the most durable features and weather-resistant properties out of all the different types of roofing, making them ideal for Washington homes.
Without proper maintenance, continual exposure to harsh weather will cause serious wear and tear to your roofing system, regardless of which material it’s made of. Hail storms, for instance, can cause punctures to your shingles, resulting in moisture seeping through the underlayment and into your home. Ice dams can also lead to major problems, causing not only excessive leaks, but also damage to attic insulation. To prevent such problems from occurring, you need to be proactive in taking care of your roofing system.
Top 5 Roofing Problems & Solutions
Roofing issues are some of the most troublesome and costly problems that home and business owners will encounter. Unfortunately, many people don’t even realize there’s an issue with their roofing system until major damage has already occurred, which can result in tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of structural repairs. To help protect your residential or commercial roofing in Seattle from a serious catastrophe, be sure to keep a watchful eye out for the following common roofing problems:
1. Roof Leaks – A leaky roof is probably the single most common roofing issue all property owners will face at some point in time. Most holes that develop in roofing systems are the result of either hail or wind damage. This particularly applies to places that are exceptionally rainy or windy, like our area here in Washington. There are nearly as many causes for roof leaks as there are roofs, from cracked or missing shingles to damaged roof sheathing and more. Typically, roof leaks tend to occur near the chimney, at flashing points, around the gutters, under damaged shingles and close to vents and pipes, as well as in low spots or valleys.
If you notice signs of a leak, such as damp walls or water stains on the ceiling, it’s imperative to call in an expert roofer right away. Regardless of whether you have steep-slope or low-slope roofing in Bellevue, WA, a thorough roof inspection is necessary to locate and repair the true source of the leak. It’s especially difficult for untrained eyes to locate the leak source, so seeking help from an expert is always the best way to go. If you’re lucky enough to catch the problem early, then a simple repair will usually do the job. If the damage has become too extensive, however , your roofer may recommend replacing your system completely to prevent leaks from reoccurring in the future.
2. Snow & Ice Damage – Over the years, snow and ice can cause significant damage to almost any roof. That’s because these elements melt into water, which eventually gets absorbed by the roofing shingles. If it refreezes, you’re in for a nasty surprise as ice just beneath your shingles pushes upward and lifts the shingles, resulting in bigger gaps that allow more moisture to enter and more ice to form. These occurrences are fairly common during the winter on many of the unmaintained roofing systems here in Washington.
Perhaps the only way to make sure these winter conditions aren’t causing permanent damage to your roof is to schedule routine spring and fall inspections and maintenance. This way, you won’t be caught off guard or stuck in a situation that requires emergency repairs. Fortunately, PVC roofing in Seattle, WA, and other forms of single-ply membrane, which are thick and have superior moisture resistance. are less susceptible to the damage brought on by snow and ice.
3. Poor Installation – Choosing inexperienced or ill-qualified contractors to replace your roof will almost always cost you money in the long run. In fact, improperly installed roofing systems remain one of the most common causes of long-term roofing problems and premature roof replacement. Remember, when a roofing company is looking to cut corners, they often focus on completing the job quickly instead of correctly. When this happens, your roofing system and your entire property pay the ultimate price, so make sure the contractor you hire has plenty of experience.
Finding the right contractor is extremely important, so don’t just look for a roofer that offers the cheapest bid or the quickest turnaround time. Instead, consult several different roofing companies and find out what their installation process entails. Also, ask to see their credentials, such as a valid license and proof of insurance. In addition, make sure they have good reviews and plenty of trusted customers that can guarantee the company will install a long-lasting, high-quality roof for you.
4. Clogged Gutters – A clogged gutter is indeed the mother of all gutter-related roofing problems. Gutters get clogged and backed up when the amount of leaves and other debris that have accumulated there and in the downspouts is sufficient to block the flow of water through the gutters. With nowhere else to go, the water will cascade down the side of the house, pool at the foundation and seep right into the house, causing extensive damage to the structure. Additionally, the excessive weight of trapped debris can cause gutters to sag, which is a noteworthy risk all by itself.
The answer to the problem of clogged gutters is regular and meticulous gutter cleaning. Make a commitment to routinely maintain your gutters to keep the path clear and water free-flowing, or hire someone to do it for you. If you’re looking for an alternative to messy gutter cleaning and routine maintenance, consider installing high-quality gutter guards to filter out leaves and other debris. Gutters and downspouts that are already damaged should be repaired or replaced as soon as possible.
5. Damaged Soffit & Fascia – Often made of wood, your soffit is highly vulnerable to water damage. Prolonged exposure to water and ice can cause it to wear very quickly, creating sizable cracks and holes. The fascia, or the front board along your roof, is also often subject to moisture damage, and immediate attention is needed if it becomes damaged because it supports all the guttering.
When your soffit or fascia succumb to rot, a prompt roof repair is necessary. Covering up the punctures and replacing broken or rotten components immediately is a surefire way to make sure your roof remains strong.
Why Is Preventive Roof Maintenance Important?
A lack of routine maintenance is probably the biggest problem in roofing today, as busy schedules get in the way of attending to necessary repairs and other preventative measures that will help maintain the integrity of your roof. As a result, even more catastrophic issues can appear. Keeping to a regular roofing maintenance schedule is the best way to keep your entire roofing system in top condition.
The keyword here is “preventive”. Addressing a roofing issue in its early stages is what helps prevent it from becoming a bigger, more expensive problem down the road. And keep in mind that doing so will also save you money because minor repairs tend to cost a lot less than frequent, more extensive repairs.
Keep Your Roof in Top Shape with the Help of KLIM Roofing & Construction
If you find yourself short on time and in need of a professional roof maintenance team you can count on, come to KLIM Roofing and Construction, Inc. Our expert team can evaluate your entire roofing system and provide a smart solution that will protect your roof from damage while saving you money in the end. We’ll work with you to create a customized maintenance plan that complements your existing schedule and will help you maintain a lasting system that protects your home and family for years to come.
At KLIM Roofing & Construction, we’re more than just a roof repair and maintenance company. We also offer top-quality replacement roofing systems constructed by some of the best roofing manufacturers in North America, such as GAF and IKO. The next time you’re in need of a high-performance roof in Seattle, WA, you can count on us to recommend the best system to complement your property’s architecture and fit your personal style.