As a commercial property owner, your first priority is to ensure that the occupants or contents of your building remain protected. For this reason, you’ll want to focus your attention on its roofing system. The commercial roof, after all, serves as the effective barrier that keeps the building interior safe and damage-free from harsh Washingtonian weather. But alas, no matter how well-built the roofing system, it still won’t be exempt to issues.
Taking prompt action once you’ve noticed the first telltale signs of a roof problem is the way to go. If you have trouble deciding where to start, just think of the three important Rs of commercial roofing.
1. Roof Repair
You’ve most likely heard this before: not every damaged roofing system should be replaced. And that phrase remains true today. Some types of commercial roofing problems are considered small enough that they’ll only require professional repair. This solution offers a simpler and more cost-effective way to maintain the performance of your commercial roof while also prolonging its service life. Whenever you discover an issue with your roofing system, you should determine whether it’s possible to have it repaired before considering another option.
When to Get One
First things first – identify any possible issues by performing a visual inspection. You know you’ll need commercial roof repairs when the:
- Roof membranes have blisters (bubble or pimple-like protrusions) on its surface, which may have been caused by trapped moisture or incorrect roof installation.
- The building’s interior shows signs of water or moisture infiltration. These are usually represented by water stains and streaks on walls and ceilings, or concentrations of mold and mildew in the building materials.
- The surface of your roof has standing water. This can mean that the drainage areas of your commercial roof are clogged by leaves and other loose debris. It’s an issue that’s more common than you think as most commercial roofs are low-slope, meaning they don’t shed rainwater and debris as effectively as its steep-pitched counterparts. You’ll need to have this dealt with quickly to prevent water from leaking through your roof.
- The roof flashing is damaged. The flashing seals the more vulnerable areas of your commercial roof. Any damage to it can increase the likelihood of water infiltration, which is an issue that may leave your building susceptible to structural damage when overlooked.
Keep in mind that commercial roof repair work is only effective when it’s performed promptly and correctly, or when the damage sustained by the system is small. In the case of more serious roofing problems, commercial roof repair is but a Band-Aid that temporarily heads off further damage. When this particular solution just won’t cut it anymore, the next step would be roof restoration.
2. Roof Restoration
Have you noticed that your commercial roof is caught in a cycle of leaks and repairs? When the system is suffering from more persistent issues, you might want to go for professional roof restoration instead. It’s the more reasonable next step than roof repair, offering a better way to bring your system back to its watertight condition under warranty. At the same time, restoration work helps extend the life of your roof, while allowing you to avoid the hassle and expenses of an early roof replacement.
When to Get One
Commercial roof restoration saves time, money and disruption, but when exactly should you have it done? You’ll need to consult a trusted local roofing company and have its team perform a comprehensive assessment of your roof’s condition, along with the extent of damage it may have sustained. There’s even advanced technology available that roofers can use to acquire a visual analysis, infrared scan and core sample for testing and analysis of a given roofing system – with the aim to pinpoint the remaining useful life of the roof, down to the exact years and months. If your existing commercial roof meets the criteria, it may be viable for a restoration.
3. Roof Replacement
This is the last R in commercial roofing, but certainly not the least. A replacement is for when things with your commercial roof have become far more serious than you initially thought. While this is costlier and more extensive than the previous solutions, it does take care of all the things that’s wrong with your current roof. Not only that-commercial roofing products and technology are constantly evolving, allowing you to benefit from increased roof durability, aesthetics, and energy performance. You’ll have greater peace of mind knowing that your building’s occupants and contents will have a sturdy, long-lasting roof to keep them safe and protected.
When to Get One
At this point, no amount of repair or restoration will be able to put your existing roof back together again. Roof replacement is considered the last resort, and you’ll know once you’ve seen these warning signs:
- The roof membranes are already showing extreme deterioration, whether by old age or serious weather damage.
- Your roofing system appears to be sagging, making it a safety risk.
- There are multiple leaks inside your building whenever it rains.
- You’re noticing a significant increase in your energy bills.
- Your roofer has discovered extensive signs of rot in the roof structure.
Why You Should Do the 3 Rs in Order
As you know, roof damage is not always consistent – some are minor while others are serious. You’ll need to deal with the escalation using the most appropriate solution. By doing the 3 Rs of commercial roofing in order, you get to make better use of your time, effort and money.
Working With KLIM Roofing & Construction
Whether or not you need commercial roof repair, restoration or replacement, it’s a good idea to work with a trusted roofing installation and repair company for the job. This is the surest way to achieve excellent results in your roofing project. And if you feel daunted about singling out the most reliable professional among all the other contractors in North Sound, then don’t be. The choice is easy: KLIM Roofing & Construction is the only name to call. Here’s what to expect when you work with us for your commercial roofing needs:
- You’ll be working with a qualified roofing contractor. KLIM Roofing & Construction is a fully licensed, bonded and insured commercial roofer. Carrying significant workers’ compensation and liability coverage, we can also ensure your greater protection. But don’t just take our word for it-ask us for proof of our credentials and we’ll be more than happy to oblige.
- Your commercial roofing project will be given our full attention. We’ve handpicked only the most highly qualified and certified roof professionals, ensuring that every job we take on will be done right the first time. Our superior workmanship is backed by industry experience, so expect no mistakes, shortcuts or callbacks when you choose KLIM Roofing & Construction. Homeowners and commercial property managers in Puget Sound have called on us to deal with their commercial roofing needs, and we have never let them down. You’ll see our dedication to delivering quality services reflected in the five-star reviews we earn in Google and Facebook.
- You get a full-range of commercial roofing services. No matter your roofing need, KLIM Roofing & Construction is ready and available to tackle it. We can work with a wide array of commercial roofing systems, including asphalt, single-ply, and standing seam metal. Roof repair, inspection or maintenance? We also have you covered on all those fronts. And if you have any special requirements for your commercial roof, don’t hesitate to ask us questions and work with us to develop the most effective solution.